Saturday, December 03, 2005

Agave Attenuata

I fell in love with this obscenely exorbitant green life since I first set my eyes on Jamie Durie’s Patio design.

I had always loved succulents because of its sturdiness and determination to stay alive. So it’s only natural for me to fall in love with the Agave because of it’s reputed boldness and rich texture.

I had made many trips to the nursery but have never bought one back. They were either TOO expensive or …. TOO expensive.

The Agaves are extremely slow growing plants. A good size teenage plant will set you back (easily) over $80. And an adult, with its beautiful structured longneck stem, over $180!

On a recent visit to Dural nursery for a working bee day. I stubbled upon 4 baby Agaves priced at a cool $30! On sales at a cooler %50 off!

My two little crowning glories are now nested proximately at the 2 corners of my balcony. Now all I have to do is to sit and wait for them to grow up into a stunning garden feature.

Hmmm…. Let’s see…. 10 years should do it?!

No comments: