Saturday, January 15, 2005

There is nothing like some girly indulgence from time to time

It is a glorious Saturday with the sun shining generously down and breeze that just enough to cool the soul. I am extremely alive today as not only are we to go sailing across the signature Sydney harbour with a group of friends this afternoon. My very good friend of over 10 years will be flying in from Singapore for a short visit later that night.

It has been too long since I had spent quality time with a girlfriend doing nothing but mindless girly indulgence .. stuff. I sometimes use my husband as a "stand-in spare" and get him to do (understandably embarrassing activities that he will never admit to) things like paint my toe nails, watch me parade through strings of clothes at my favourite boutique, sample an array of cakes at a trendy down town cafe, watch a trashy chick flick and scurry through shops all over paddington till I finally find that perfect pair of earrings to match my perfect new frock. haha.. ARG! I am SO difficult sometimes. He often gives in to my pleading (bless his kind soul) and very begrudgingly accompanies me, but gals..it is never the same now is it? It is just something about the male species that simply could not comprehend (nor replace for that matter) the type of companionship a woman could give to another. And that includes all non-shallow (like shopping buddies) support that encompasses a healthy heterosexual girlfriend type of relationship.


However, on the flip side of the coin, I am grateful for that distinction. I do like my different "catagories" of companionship (aka hang-out friends, old friends, christian friends, non-christian friends, family friends, family, male / female friends etc...). It seasons my life and I tremendously enjoy the support & relationship I get from them all. It is truly reassuring to know that if I am in need of a shoulder to lean on (or on the less melodramatic scenario, advise on what to wear to a party!), there will always be more than one voice to reply on. =)

No comments: