Saturday, February 19, 2005

Lou Hai


It’s Chinese New Year. The year of the Rooster.

I always miss home during this time of the year. Celebrations at home would have reached it’s peak.

Mum would have baked her ration of almond nut cookies and pineapple tarts.

Homes would have been be thoroughly spring cleaned. New clothes bought. And stacks of crisp new two dollar bills.

Determined to carry on traditions in my adopted country, a couple of my friends and I got together to plan a festive reunion dinner.

We sent out invitations. Everyone was meant to bring along a special dish. We were to have Lou Hai. I was ecstatic!

Mel made a special trip to Chinatown to get the necessary danglings and plastic fire crackers. It was starting to feel like Chinese New Year.

The party was a hit. Everyone had a good time. We shouted our well wishes while mixing the Lou Hai, and made a huge mess. It was great!

The only thing missing were the red packets. Thank goodness my single friends did not pick that up. Hee….

No comments: