Monday, April 04, 2005

Day eight continues

A couple of days ago, we had booked us all in for a 2 days pampering retreat at an Onsen in the shire of Ryokusuitei just an hour train ride away from Kyoto city.

After being picked up from the train station, we arrived at the Osen early noon and were ready to soak our aching travelled bodies in the famous hot spring baths.

We followed the lady attendant through the hallways and through narrow clean wooden corridoors decorated with little gardens of rocks, water wells and bonsai like miniature trees.

Our room was a VIP suite room so it was spacious. The floors were lined with
Tatami Mats which gave the room a wonderful sent AND we have our VERY OWN personal hot-spring bath!!!

We changed into the Yukata [kimono like coats] that were provided and made our way to the large public bath for our first hot spring bath experience.

I have to admit it was quite unsettling at first having to walk around bud naked in the bath. We were only given a tiny face tower so it barely covered anything. hahah.....

The Japanese women on the other hand were all extremely at ease with the nudity that surrounds us. As we were desperately clinging onto our pathetically small towel trying to shield off whatever “important” parts we could shield, they were out open in all their glory totally unaffected! It was hilarious!

Slipping into the bath and out of the freezing cold air was heaven. Every bone and muscle in my body instantly relaxed and I felt so light.

I did not care that I was pruning like a … well …prune at the end of the day. I promised myself that I would take as many dips as humanly possible. So by dinner, I had taken 3 dips at the public bath, and 2 in the privacy of our room. And if Melvin hadn’t stopped me, I would have gone for more! =Pt5

Dinner was provided at the resort so with fully relaxed muscles and a famished tummy, we made our way to the dinning hall.


Japanese take a lot of pride in presentations. Whether it’s in their choice of clothing, or the sweets they sell, or the food they eat. Everything is always so impeccably, and artistically decorated.


Dinner of course was not an exception. Looking at the tray in front of me. One can only guess the amount of effort placed into it. It feels almost wrong to touch it!

For someone like me who loves to mix flavours. It was another heaven moment. Once I took my first bite, there was no stopping me.


**The little cutie on the right is my gf's little kid. Isn't that the cutest face you have ever seen!!!

After dinner and a little rest. My gf and I decided to take our final dip for the day and on our way back to our room after, we thought we heard a familiar voice blaring away to the tunes of Unchain Melody from the karaoke room in the hallway. We peered into the karaoke room and low and behold, we found Melvin singing his heart out to a crowd of adoring fans of little old men and little old ladies!!

These old folks really know how to party! There was alcohol, cigars, cheering, singing and lots of dancing. Armed with only our Yukata and nothing under! We precariously joined in the party and danced away to traditional line dance of repetitive claps, waves and stamping of feet. It was good fun. We were treated like super stars after that repertoire and suddenly everyone wanted to know who we are and where we come from! And the next thing I know, I was asked by a (cheeky enough looking) old men to dance!

I accepted politely and spent the next 10 minutes sweating myself as I frantically held onto my Yukata for fear of it coming undone while he twirls me around the dance floor.

In the meantime fading away in the background was Melvin contently puffing away at his cigar, making smoke rings having a good laugh at my expense. Grr. Lousy unprotective husband....!!

No comments: