Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Day ten

I wrote this while on board the pride and joy of Japan, the famous Shinkansen [Bullet Train] of the JR line. We had spent 3 glorious days in the capital of Japan and are making the journey back to Kyoto. The following pages are an account of our adventure in urban jungle Tokyo.

We had an early start today. Woke up at 5am and got ready to make our way to Kyoto Station to catch the Shinkansen to Tokyo. Our departure time was 6:35am…. Sharp!

Before flagging down a taxi. We made a quick stop to the local 24-hour supermarket to buy our breakfast and snacks. Tip – The platform on the JR line has kiosks selling food and snacks. However, at relatively high prices. The second option is to buy food on the bullet train itself. There are lady attendants pushing trolleys selling snacks and drinks. Again, an expensive alternative. So pack your meals before boarding if possible.

I bought myself a nice bento box meal. Melvin got some sushi rolls. And we got bread buns and fruits for snacks. Most supermarkets or mini-marts sell hot can drinks. You could find hot can drinks almost everywhere. Even in vending machines! We got ourselves each a can to warm our shivering bodies.

We arrived at the station way ahead of time, with about 40 minutes to spare. Melvin was obsessed about not missing the train, which probably is a prudent move. You only get one shot with the Shinkansen. Miss it, and you’ll have to buy yourself another ticket. An expensive lesson to learn.

I took a video when the train arrived. It was such an amazing sight. I had heard SO much about the Shinkansen and its brilliance in the world of transportation. But never did I think I could actually get so excited over a train! It was truly magnificent.

We found our seats. Placed our bags in the overhead compartment, and settled in. It was so comfortable. Like flying in a domestic airline. I was very impressed.

At 6:35am sharp. We departed for Tokyo. The train did not truly pick up speed till we hit the main tracks. After then, we were flying at over 250km/hr. My adrenaline was pumping. I watched as houses whisked past me in a flash. I took another video to help remember how fast we were going. It was such a ride!

We were due to arrive in Tokyo in 2 hrs. I allowed myself a short nap to recuperate from the excitement. Woke up about ½ an hr later and ate my delicious bento box meal. It was really yummy. Took another short video to document my mini feast. hehe..

Mount Fuji just past us!!! Thankfully. I have my trusty camera by my side. ‘Click’

Tokyo. Home to thousands of Pachinko parlours, millions of vending machines, tens of millions of city dwellers, countless neon light signboards and capital of Japan.

Our first destination?!

It has to be Tokyo Disneyland!!

No comments: