Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Day ten continues

We had to change train to get to Tokyo Disneyland. The excitement started to build when we caught sight of the signature Disney castle approaching in the distance.

It was so exhilarating! Disney tunes blaring through the rails. Kids [AND adults] wearing Mickey-mouse plastic ears. Merchandise of all sorts, from star-studded Disney characters T-shirts to Donald duck biscuits. Big candyfloss! We were suddenly 5 all over again!!

10.00am: Armed with parades timetable, maps and show times schedule. We planned our day’s adventure.

I was dying to run into Mickey. One cannot fully experience Disneyland without meeting THE star! I scanned through the crowd of fake plastic ears in search of my mouse.

Found GOOFY!! YAY!!

Like all theme parks. There are thrill rides. Melvin was OBESSED with them! He wanted to be on the meanest, scariest, wildest rides. I had to remind him several times that we have kids in line with us. How scary could the rides be!? Come on…!!

I did not scream that loudly in Splash Drop!…. Did I?? “Ahem”

Unfortunately for me. Evidence of my cowardly outburst was caught on camera. A picture of our trunk like boat splashing down the waterfall was taken. All 6 of us screaming our heads off! It was so funny. We had to buy the picture.

The highlight of Disneyland had to be the parades. Neatly seated on opposite sides of the road. The crowd was greeted by dancing fairies, twirling flowers, cute little drafts, Disney cartoon characters, Fairy Godmothers. And of course, the all famous Mini and Mickey Mouse.

I was completely dazzled! I waved. I pointed. I laughed. I was delusional! Damn those sugar coated donuts!!!

Disneyland has 7 themes park. There are World Bazaar, Adventureland, Westernland, Critter Country, Fantasyland, Toontown and Tomorrowland. I liked Tomorrowland the best. Probably because they had the best ride. And star wars!

Trust the Japanese to be utterly organised. Every ride was so well managed. And the attendants, always so cheerful and perky. There were heaps of people. Yet most rides were made accessible to all. The magic formula - Fast Passes.

Every ride has a fast pass machine. It allocates time slots for your next ride. With it, one could bypass the long line of people, and be on the next available ride. It really helped distribute the crowd around. The catch is. You are only allowed one fast pass at a time. Geniuses!

A day is never enough to explore Disneyland properly. We were rushing around like headless chucks. Desperate not to miss out on anything. By nightfall, we were utterly exhausted.

Perfect time to sit, relax and enjoy a Broadway production of mini-mouse limelight show!

We were entertained by singers [in both languages - English and Japanese], dozen of dancers in bright Brazilian costumes, Disney characters, drums, flags and lots of acrobats jumping around!

I am absolutely impressed at mini mouse’s mobility in those huge red high heels clogs!!! Wow!

Straight after that. We rushed off to watch the night parade [Electric Dreams]. Streams after streams of colourful-lighted floats drove by. It was really a treat to the eyes.

I thought we should buy a souvenir to remember Disney by. Mel bought me this huge winnie the pooh bucket with popcorn in it. I hung it around my neck and helped myself to the hot crispy and fluffy snack. What a pig!

Tried but contented. We departed Disney at 9.00pm.

What a fulfilled day it was.

Tomorrow. We hit the notorious grounds of Harajuku, Shinjuku, Kabukicho, Shibuya and Roppongi. hhaaaiii!

No comments: