Saturday, April 02, 2005

Day six

We woke up late and lazed around the house till noon before setting off.

There were lots of Matsuri celebrations all around the city to welcome in the coming Sakura season, so we decided we'll have to visit one today. Together with my gf and her SUPER cute little 2 year old, we made our way to Kyoto City Hall to watch a local dance troupe perform their annual dance rituals.

The colours of the performers' costume were so vibrant. There were dancers of all ages, from as little as 5 years old to the older folks in their 70s performing and dancing away, all filled with so much enthusiasm and passion. I love it.

I particularly liked a dance that mimics a fisherman’s labour. The pulling of the rope, the weight of the net, the joy of the catch, so brilliantly displayed.

Our cameras were snapping away uncontrollably. Our feet were taping. And our eyes were transfixed on a chirpy, well-built, young chap who quite obviously is enjoying the attention.

My gf and I giggled away like mindless teenagers, happily having a harmless flirt, when suddenly her son carelessly ran up to us wanting a mummy snuggle. We shamelessly pretended he was not ours for a minute before sucumming to his cute little plea.

After the performance, we made our way to an international food fare just 15mins walk away. I shared a kebab with my gf and 2 red bean pancakes with Mel. It was SO good.

We spent the next half hour sampling all sorts of Japanese snacks and desserts. I simply LOVE those red bean cakes. I swear I will never get tired of them. Not ever.


We parted ways after sunset and Mel & I were left to explore the nightlife of the infamous
Ponto-Cho.

Once a red light district, Ponto-Cho has since been transformed into a traditional hub for dinning and nighttime entertainment. This narrow street [running between the Kamo-gawa and Kiyamachiodori] is jammed pack with Jazz bars, traditional teahouses, Sushi bars and restaurants. Perfect place to spot Geishas and Maikos [apprentice geisha] rushing around for their party appointments.

This is so uniquely Japan.

We found a nice cosy bar by the river and settled in. Mel had his whisky on the rocks and I ordered a cocktail called Kamikaze. It was literally to DIE FOR. (sorry... hehe)

The view and ambience of the bar is so relaxing. I sit there in the soft lights, comfy couches, jazz music in the background, window view of the river lined with lighted up cherry blossom trees writing in my journal recording what we had done, seen and felt for the day. Blissfully sublime.

After pumping enough poison into our bodies. We walked down to have a closer look at the lighted up cherry blossom trees.

They are SO beautiful. No wonder the Japanese could not have enough of them.

I closed my eyes to take a mental picture. And backed that up with lots of digital shots. What a sight to remember.


**Here's a picture of me and my gf infront of a beautiful weeping cherry blossom tree.

No comments: