Sunday, September 18, 2005

Mid-Autumn Mooncake Festival

Today is the Mid-Autumn Mooncake Festival.

I love eating the little lotus paste cakes. Especially the ones with egg yokes in them. yummm!

The atmosphere here in Sydney is quite different from Singapore. It doesn’t have the intensity that normally builds up before this celebration. Though I have to admit I was quite stunned when I heard a radio presenter wishing his listeners a Happy Mooncake Festival.

It put a smile on my face. But it was still not the same.

Back in Singapore. Kids would have already bought their lanterns and lighted them up in parks. Jurong Chinese Gardens would have had her annual display of the largest lanterns imaginable. Stores everywhere would have already sold hundreds of the beautifully flowered boxes of cakes. Tea and yams would have been brewed and steamed to compliment the sweetness of the lotus paste cakes.

My family would now be gathered around a table with a display of the little sweet cakes, sampling the different boxes bought from various “Best Mooncakes” stores in town.

And I?!

I managed to steal a slice at our church’s mooncake party with a spec of egg yoke dangerously hanging on.

How sad…

No comments: