Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Shoe laces and a broken ring

It has been almost a week since we put Salem under house arrest. He seems to be coping well besides the outburst sporadic meowing [which thankfully only happens whenever we open the balcony sliding doors].

Poor thing.

I have to admit. There was a little burden of guilt brewing in me. And I was beginning to get a little worried what this new captive life style will do to him.

So in fear of causing any bad and irreversible damage to his “catly” instinct and agility. I began my search around the apartment for a new toy that he could play with. In hope of re-invigorating his little mind.

I never believed in buying those expensive cat toys. The only toys we ever bought Salem were;
- His all time favourite little stuffed blue mouse
- A knitted ball
- And his scratching post.

The rest of his play pan collectibles consist of used present ribbons. An old shoelace. An old tennis ball. Used M&M candle figurine containers. Little vibrating pull out toys I bought from Brisbane Victoria markets years ago. Paper bags. AND. His favourite “hanging-around-the-kitchen- pass-time” toy. Rolled up plastic bags.

After much scrummaging through my bathroom cabinet. I stumbled upon my old spiral ring that I had bought from Paddington’s market a year ago. It was once my trophy possession. I never left home without it. Till it snapped one day.

So today. It became Salem’s new toy.

He absolutely and utterly fell in love with it!!

He was smacking it around the bathroom floor. Pushing it under doors. Carried it around the apartment. And his most ingenious self invented game ever. Bathtub ring hockey. How funny!

I tied the ring to his old shoelace. And for the very first time. Managed to catch his attention for a good whole 30 mins!

For fear that he may gradually get bored with his new toy. I decided to put a stop to this new obsession and kept his new toy for another day.

He glared at me unapprovingly and resumed his meowing at open balcony doors.

There’s no winning is there.... arg.

No comments: