Monday, March 28, 2005

Day one



Our flight to Osaka was going to be an overnighter. I sleep well on planes so i knew it wouldn't bother me all that much. Once boarded, it was not long before I found my comfort spot and slumbered the whole 6 hours away.

8.30am, we arrived at Osaka Kansai International Airport and caught an express bus to Kyoto. The journey took slightly under an hour so it was a nice "waking up" trip.

We finally arrived at our destination after a total travel time of under 9 hours followed by a quick taxi ride to my childhood friend's home.

The first thing that caught our attention was how narrow everything was. From the corner alley streets, to the sidewalks, to the width of terrace houses. Most were no more than the width of 5 - 6M!

After a quick orientation around the street of her house. We made our way to a local restaurant for our first taste of authentic Japanese “fast food”.

Let me explain how it work, it is such a perfect system! First, you decide what you want to eat (with the help of those famous plastic food models outside the restaurant. Next, you buy a ticket from a machine and hand it over to the waitress. Than simply take a seat, pour yourself some Ocha, and in about 5 seconds, you get your food! My order was a hot piping bowl of Oyakodon. Perfect!

After getting our needed carbs. We were off to the markets. Taramachi a segment of the huge Nishiki Market off Shijo St.

You cannot help but get electrified by the vibrant buzz of the Japanese culture. Everyone is so cheerful and perky. Store tenders shouting “Irrasshiamase”, all the courteous and excessive bowing, funky and quirky fashion statement, never-ending display of carefully garnished sweets and little savoury snacks. And in the midst of modernisation, an eerie majestic temple carelessly sandwiched between “Wave Fashion” and “Cosmo Haven”.


Subconsciously, a paradox of curiosity and fondness brew in me. I secretly smiled inside, grateful for the experience and the involvement.

My childhood friend's parents-in-law has a souvenir stop at the market. We stopped by to greet them. I bowed to a little old lady [who's her grandma-in-law] on my way in and practiced my embarrassingly limited Japanese.

Later that night, my gf's husband took us out for dinner. Tengu Izakaya, an old traditional Japanese style restaurant that serves local delicacies. I was SO grateful that he spoke english. It was great getting to know him, exchanging stories of our life's and comparing the differences that are so clearly marked by our different upbringing. We drank Saka, ate, chat and I had my very first taste of fish liver [Kimo].

I am officially sworn in!

No comments: