Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Day two


9:00am : Armed with our trusty Bio-Ace and Berocca. We hit the road.

10:00am :
Nijo Castle, ticket 600Yen/ppl.

Standing amongst such history and preserved heritage. One cannot help but be grateful to all those who have made it possible for us now some 309 years later to witness the majesty and splendid lifestyle of the once powerful lords and emperor of Japan.

This castle was built in 1603 as the official residence of
Tokugawa Ieyasul. The ostentatious style was intended as a demonstration of Ieyasu’s prestige and to signal the demise of the emperor’s power.

I walked on hand polished nightingale floorboards, decorated with walls after walls of priceless paintings of phoenix and tiger paws. I felt so humbled.

I cast myself back to the 17th century. Back when warlords ruled the world and Geisha’s companions are only for the rich and powerful. I was the mistress of the house. Wearing the most exquisite and detailed Kimono, only worn by the doted and elite mistresses. In front of me, the breathtaking Seiryu-en garden designed by Japanese finest landscape artist Kobor Enshu. Sipping my green tea while my lady attendants fuzzed around bringing in sweet cakes of all colours and flavours.

I was quickly jotted back to reality as Melvin thought he [once again] found another secret concealed chamber for the samurais. Well, at least I know I am not alone in our little pretend world.

03:00pm : Nishiki Market. Rows of the oddest fresh produce you could find. Eel, squid, flounder, fish cakes, pancakes, pickled vegetables, seaweeds, steamed buns, tea, candies…. It smells wonderful!

4:30pm : Another Japanese “fast food” experience. Oishii desu!


7:00pm : Walked down to the the infamous Gion district. Caught a cultural display show at Gion Corner. Tea Ceremony, Flower Arrangement, Kabuki, and Bunraku [Puppet Dance]. The best 2000 Yen I’ll ever spend.


10:00pm : On the way home. We ran into a real live flesh and blood Geisha! What a way to end the day.

No comments: