Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Kalgoorlie

I was to spend 4 days and 3 nights in a Gold Mine out in the rich desert grounds of outback Kalgoorlie. I have not even boarded the 18-seater passenger plane and already I am feeling home sick.

We were to conduct training to a group of electricians on how to joint and terminate a cable. The electrical superintendent of the mine received us at the airport [which basically is a dirt runway]. And packed into a pick up truck like sardines. We were whisked off to the campsite.

I was very impressed with the living quarters. I actually had my own room and ensuite bathroom!

After unpacking my things [electric blanket, pillow covers, fashion magazines, a good book, chocolate biscuits and Pringles bought by my sweet sister-in-law]. The bucker suddenly appears livable after all.

The camp is very well equipped. It has facilities like a gym, a dinning mast, bar, games room, a cable TV room, mini movie theatre. AND unlimited Internet access! Not bad considering we ARE in the middle of nowhere.

We were given a quick tour around the mine site. It is quite amazing looking at the open pit where miners actually go down to dig for gold. And the huge machinery on the ground. Impressive.

Dinner was all you can eat buffet. I was expecting big chunks of meat, slabs of greasy sausages, bread rolls and a mountain pile of creamy mash potato. Instead, we had a selection of roast beef, boiled carrots, broccoli, a salad bar [with the usual pasta, egg, and green salad. Cheeze platter!], bread and yes, the creamy mash. AND my favourite bread pudding with custard sauce for dessert. Ice cream, cakes and fruits.

Apparently, you get your eggs cooked in whatever ways you want for breakfast! It is not gourmet. But I am liking it.

Working hours at the mines are from 6am to 6pm. So after dinner. Most of us retreated back to our rooms for an early shuteye.

Walking back to my room. I ran into a Kangaroo, a little rabbit running its cute furry ass off, and goats.

That I think, is good enough reason for me to hang around for another 3 days.

No comments: