Thursday, January 11, 2007

Woolworths National Drought Action Day

"SYDNEY: 22 December 2006 – As part of a wider commitment to supporting Australian rural communities, on January 23, 2007, Woolworths will donate its entire supermarkets profits from all Australia Woolworths & safeway supermarkets, for the day to the Country Women's Association and research into sustainable farming practices."

I could not even start to imagine how hard it must be for the farming community out there facing this never ceasing drought year after year. I have been hearing about it on the news since I moved to Sydney 3 years ago. And it had only gotten worse since.

Me, a little unassuming city folk, and my shinny shopping trolley, air-conditioned well-stocked supermarkets does forget so easily the struggles these farmers face day on day. The devastation of a year’s hard work because a harvest is lost due to unpredictable and uncontrollable climate changes. The frustration and despair that must accompany such a disaster.

My prayers go out to all these unsung heroes in various droughts stricken parts of Australia. Whom despite all odds, are still hanging in there and never seized to give up hope. For keeping my local fresh corner shop stocked and preserving the farming way of life.

A BIG thank you from a little city pumpkin dweller!

You know where I’ll be this 23rd! It may not be much as an individual, but together, I’m sure it will make a difference.
So don't forget your shopping list!!

To find out more. Click here.

No comments: